Thursday, June 21, 2007

After slogging through my friend Courtney's "100 Things About Me" blog today, I was inspired to post something similar. Of course, I'm not going to set any numeric goal. Jeez, I'm not that self centered. I couldn't think of 100 things to write about myself. So without further ado, here's my "However Many Things I Can Think Of About Me" list blog.

1. I have a lot of less-than-perfect qualities. I have a fat stomach. My nostrils don't match in shape or size. My head is a smidge too large. My shoulders are a smidge too narrow.

2. The only imperfection that I'm sensitive about is my stuttering. If you know me and didn't know that I stutter, then you're not paying attention, but I have had people tell me that. Believe me though, even if you don't notice I do. It's probably because it's the only thing I was ever truly picked on as a kid.

3. Despite being a dorky kid, I was rarely picked on, but probably because I was bigger than all of but maybe 5 or 6 other kids in school.

4. Despite having been a copy editor (and a darn decent one, I might add) and currently working as an English teacher, I'm not a language Nazi. I'm perfectly willing to accept that dialect, and people who spell poorly exist.

5. That being said, you probably won't see a lot of grammatical or spelling errors on this site beyond the occassional typo. It's not like I'll be proofreading before posting, but I am really good at language.

6. I've taken Swahili in college and wish I could have taken more than just the one class.

7. I also know way too much about African current events for an American.

8. If Netflix knew that last tidbit about me, it would be convinced that I'm a gay African immigrant.

9. I played Dungeons and Dragons in high school and the first couple of years of college. I always played a halfling thief with pyromania and a penchant for taking souvenirs from dead enemies. He was a great character, but pissed off my more goal-oriented playing partners.

10. I stopped playing when my friend who ran the games moved to California, and I haven't missed playing.

11. I have missed the friend.

12. I don't have any ex-girlfriends. I dated two different girls in high school, but one date a piece hardly makes either of them an ex.

13. I've never been turned down by a girl I asked out, but again, I only asked two girls out.

14. I've never officially asked my wife out.

15. If I didn't have any reason to worry about financial security, I'd be a farmer who made beer and cheese.

16. I'm bored with this post so I'll stop now.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Yay, comments! Welcome to the world of self-centered blogging. I bet I can come up with a few more things to add to your list:

17. You have an unhealthy obsession with Olesegun Obasanjo.
18. You used to have a dog cage that I could fit into.
19. You cannot remember the correct name of that place that's always fighting with Israel.
20. You really like Coen brothers movies.

Anonymous said...

A halfling thief? Seriously, Jacob. Well, now that you're posting your life history on the Internet, just don't agree to meet any perverted orcs in abandoned parking lots, where they'll molest you and steal your stolen gems.

Julie said...

21. You are so far past the line the line is a dot to you.
22. You came from a literal one stop light town.
23. You moved back to said town and purchased a home.
24. You have a fascination with chickens. Side note: I wonder if your obsession with raising chickens has anything to do with your obsession with Africa?

Jacob said...

Number 22 isn't true. It's a 6 stop light town. It was only a 5 stoplight town when I left for college, but they put in another one when they upgraded the Wal Mart and moved it across town. And that's lights for six intersections, not six individual lights. If you get into the number of individual lights you're talking more like 24 because they're all on intersections of 4-lane highways.

I'm kind of hoping the move back is just long-term temporary.