Sunday, November 11, 2007

Legal Downloading Sucks

I just spent an hour and a half going through my Napster downloads, deleting the files they'd replaced with new versions and redownloading the new versions so that I can actually listen to the songs I'd downloaded. Why don't I just pay for the music by file or album so it's a permanent download? My music consumption is prodigious. How in the hell am I going to manage to afford that? The whole reason I use Napster is that with my membership (less than buying a CD a month) I can download as many songs as I want and transfer them to my MP3 player. I've got a mini jack in my car, so I can just hook the player directly into my car's sound system. This means I'm not spending a crap ton of money to fill up my player with whatever I'm listening to.

The problem is with the crap I mentioned before. They change files and permissions and they don't automatically update your collection leaving me to sift through a few thousand files to update. I really miss the old days of guilt-free illegal downloads. You can't even use a lot of the illegal downloads anymore because of all of the digital rights management checking on modern computing equipment and mp3 players. Why can't the music industry just suck it up and give me all the free music I want without any annoyances on my part?

1 comment:

Allie said...

Amen on that one. I recently uninstalled limewire from my computer because it was getting viruses.