Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Wandering Dork

I'm in the Atlanta area for the entire week of Thanksgiving. Already I have plans for going to the Atlanta Thrashers game on Monday and the Atlanta Falcons game on Thursday, so it's going to be a very sports intensive week. I'm also planning on hitting every brewpub in the metro area (except for maybe the Rock Bottom) sometime before we head back down to the boonies next weekend. K and I also mentioned hitting the High Museum of Art for the new Louvre exhibit (we saw the last one that came through and this focuses more on the ancient art instead of the Renaissance stuff from last time). I don't know if that one will happen though.

Tonight we left home around 7:30 p.m. and got to K's parents' house around 11 p.m. The trip was pretty nice. Not a lot of traffic and the weather was good except for a slight drizzle around the middle of the trip. As soon as I get through with this post, I'm heading up to bed. Tomorrow, I plan on heading out to the North Springs MARTA station around lunch to ride into the city to hit up Max Lager's, Park Tavern, and maybe Gordon Biersch before catching the train back out to Decatur to catch a beer at Twain's just after they open around 5 p.m. before heading back into town for the Thrasher's game at 7 p.m. Yeah, that sounds like a lot of beer, but I'm just hunting anything new I haven't had and moving on. It's also why there's the heavy MARTA use followed by the hockey game and another MARTA ride before I get to my car. I'm fairly sure I won't see the need to buy any more beer at the Thrasher's game, especially if it's anything along the line of the prices at the Atlanta Braves games. I'm hoping to meet up with Julie and Matt for the game, and unless something goes wrong, I will.

I did consider going to Brick Store pub before heading back home since it is the closest real thing to heaven in my opinion, but that would be stupid. I'm not sure I'd be able to legally drive home after that even with the longish MARTA ride back to my car.

I'm also planning on hitting both 5 Seasons some time this week (they have different brewers who share no recipes. Only the food is similar because they share the same executive chef). K and I will probably meet her dad for lunch in the Alpharetta one on Tuesday or something and I'll probably squeeze in the Sandy Springs location sometime after Thanksgiving, maybe while K and her mom are shopping during the sales.

Thanksgiving Day is going to be a bit rushed. We're doing dinner with K's folks. My parents are going to be up here with us. Then after dinner, my dad and I are going to be heading down to Atlanta for the Falcons game against the Indianapolis Colts. With the way Peyton and his boys have been playing lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see an upset, but as poorly as the Falcons played today, I wouldn't be expecting it either.

Yes, I realize that this post serves no humorous purposes, nor does it share some attempt at emotional poignancy, but I think I've been doing pretty well with the serious and silly posts, so I should be allowed on simple journal-type entry. Besides, I'm excited about all of that. I haven't had easy access to decent beer in two years now with the rare, short-lived exception, and I've never been to an NFL or NHL game and I'm really pumped about going to those as well.

I do have Internet access here, and K's parents are used to me sneaking away to the basement to play on the computer, so my NaBloPoMo streak should continue unbroken. I'll try to return with something meaningful tomorrow.

3 comments:

Mickey said...

Damn. Sounds busy. Should be a lot of fun, though. Are you going it alone for all that beer hunting or will you have company?

Courtney said...

Sounds like a fun week for you. I recommend the Louvre exhibit; it's pretty cool. That's some old shit, especially when you realize the Coliseum in Rome (Italy) is newer than everything in the room.

We'd come hang out with you if we were going to be in Atlanta, but alas, we are not. Will you be in town for Christmas?

Chris said...

That does sound fun -- for you, that is. I'm not into beer enough to get much pleasure out of a multi-day pub crawl.

Nevertheless, I would like to be free for a few days to do whatever I pleased. Since there is no prospect of this, I haven't bothered figuring out what that would be, hypothetically.