Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cool Discovery

I found out this weekend that I’m the great great grandson of Lyman Hall, the second president of Georgia Tech. He’s on the side of my maternal grandmother (and apparently on her mom’s side given that she was a Bales and not a Hall. Of course that side of the family is known for their intelligence. My great uncle is an actual rocket scientist for NASA (or some contractor for NASA). Just another reason I justify my irrational love of Georgia Tech.

There was actually another Lyman Hall who signed the Declaration of Independence and was a governor of Georgia, but that’s not him. They’re both from Georgia, though, so I may be his descendant as well. That would be really cool.

8 comments:

Meaghan said...

You seem to be finding out a lot about your family here lately! Very cool!

Courtney said...

Welcome to the golden gene pool of Georgia Tech alumni/administrators. It's a nice place. Glad you could join us.

Mickey said...

Geeks.

Chris said...

Oh yeah, well I had great great grandaddies, too, and I'll betcha they was moonshiners.

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Cool. I'm going to go ahead and assume that I don't know much about my ancestors because your ancestors were too busy slaughtering them for the land upon which they built your golden school.

Anonymous said...

That's pretty awesome.

I'm actually related to the *other* Lyman Hall, on my dad's side. (And there's quite a bit of family resemblance, even 200 years later).

Jacob said...

That's cool. We could be related, although if you put back your historical bar far enough we're all related.