Friday, April 04, 2008

The Set Up for a Punch Line That May Never Come

"Vet #2 tested her blood and phoned me at home saying, 'Perhaps you should think about euthanasia.' I hadn't heard that word in a while and pictured scores of happy Japanese children spilling from the front door of their elementary school." -- David Sedaris

I'm a fan of David Sedaris, and while that quote sounds kind of lame out of context, it's hilarious when set in its proper place in an essay that combines dorky humor with some actually touching moments. Sedaris is a frequent contributor to "This American Life" and after having had "Who is that?" moments on several occasions when listening to him read his essays, I think I'm going to go out and start looking for some of his books, which are collections of personal essays. I think I may start with Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Looking over the titles of the essays in Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, I started thinking about what my mom used to do to my sister and me during the summers back when we were kids.

Fortunately for you, I've decided to take one of Mickey's ample pieces of advice and decided to break this post into two parts. Actually, if I weren't going to be on the road and fairly busy this weekend, I'd probably just have chunked all 1,000+ words up here at once and written about the Thrashers tomorrow. As it is, I'm not sure I'm going to have enough time to get anything written until Sunday night. I'll have to push my ode to the Thrashers to Sunday after they've played their final game of the year and my existential pain is over until the Falcons and Georgia Tech kick off the football season in the fall.

2 comments:

Mickey said...

See, you get two posts out of one. Everybody's happy.

Julie said...

Someone bought me "holidays on ice" and I found it rather funny. That must be an awesomely dysfunctional family. His sister Amy is rather amusing, too.