Sunday, June 22, 2008

That Was Strange

About a month ago I mentioned a guy who stopped and took me home after I accidentally parked my truck in a ditch on a dirt road back in high school. I found out today that he died about a week ago from a heart attack. It really seems a little strange that I would remember and write about the kindness of a man about a month before he died. It wasn't like the guy was elderly. He was my parents' age, and they're only in their early mid 50s. This would have been old a couple hundred years ago, but this is two decades shy of the life expectancy these days. It's probably close to a quarter-century short of life expectancy, to tell you the truth. It's not like I mentioned a guy who was 96 who died the next month. That's really not a surprise. A guy in his 50s makes it a coincidence.

On a more cheerful note, I found this really cool Simpsons game online through the forums at Ratebeer.com yesterday. The game gives you 63 Simpsons characters and the goal is to see how many you could identify in 10 minutes. I got 40/63. I should have gotten 48, but I was blanking on several.

6 comments:

Chris said...

Sadly, Meaghan and I combined only got 34 Simpsons characters. Got all those in the first four minutes and then completely blanked out.

Julie said...

Hey. Angel of Death. Do I need to request you stop referencing my name on your blog?

Jacob said...

Julie: I had written a comment about how I searched and made sure I never used your last name in my blog, given that's a faux pas on several of our blogs, then I realized you just didn't want to die.

Are you afraid to die Julie?

Anonymous said...

Ashamed to admit I hit 55 of 63, with the potential for 57. Wouldn't have come up with the names of Homer's mom, the two hicks, the Van Houtens, or the white cop in a million years, though.

And it's funny which names you blank on. Like I stared at Skinner for 5 minutes knowing I had that knowledge somewhere but just unable to pull it out.

Think maybe I played the Simpsons drinking game a few too many times in my youth.

Courtney said...

I got 57! I couldn't remember Lionel Hutz, Agnes Skinner, the first names of the Van Houtens, and sadly I blanked on Mayor Quimby.

Mickey said...

I got 40 as well. What was the rest of this post about?