Saturday, August 30, 2008

I'm on a Political Jag. Deal with It.

This is a good article about Obama's planned tax policy and the conservative complaints about it. At a birthday party for my great aunt last week one of my cousins was saying he couldn't vote for Obama because he'd end up being taxed to death. Now, I know the guy married into one of the wealthier families in the area, but if he's pulling in $250,000 a month in a region where the average household income is about $25,000 he should probably have enough cash on hand to not to have to worry about it. Personally, I'd rather make $250,000 a year and pay double my current tax rate than I would my current salary with half of my current tax rate. The numbers aren't even close.

Going back to the article, the guy looks into the myth that in some cities $250,000 a year isn't really all that much. Turns out that even in the wealthiest town in America (somewhere in Connecticut) $250,000 a year puts you well over the average household income. The author was even so generous as to point out that one's perceived wealth has less to do with the town their in, but with the neighborhood they're in. You know, keeping up with the Joneses and all.

You know what? If you're living in a neighborhood where making $250,000 makes you feel poor or even middle class, you probably shouldn't be living there. You can probably find another area with good schools where you can be the big nut in the turd and let all of the true middle class people look up on your grandeur. I can't be bothered to think that a reduction in Bush's tax cuts is enough of a hurt for me to care. I'm sure that the other 98 percent of Americans who make less than you can agree. If you can't manage to easily fit your life within your means when you're making that much money, then you really don't deserve any of it.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I really like that Slate headline: "Sorry, pal, but you're rich"

Not surprisingly, I am also quite unconcerned about Obama's plans to rollback some of Bush's tax cuts to the wealthy.

Julie said...

Agreed.

I also think that if you make $250,000, maybe you should stop being a cheap bastard and hire the acountant down the street that teaches you how to set up tax shelters. Problem solved.