Saturday, October 18, 2008

Drumroll Please...

I promised on Thursday that I'd post photos of the new chicks on Friday. Obviously, I failed to keep up my end of that promise. Something more interesting came up on Friday and surprisingly, the chicks weren't as fast at coming out of their shells as I had expected. I didn't get a chance to get them. It's not good to open the incubator while there are still chicks hatching. Enough with the excuses. Here are those photos I promised.

This is a really bad picture of one of the chicks emerging from the shell. There's a viewing window in the lid of the incubator, but it doesn't lend itself well to photography.

And these are the chicks more than 48 hours after the first pip. The weird thing is that the eggs are still hatching. I've never had a hatch this spread out, but then I'm also using an incubator I'm not fully familiar with. There are actually four chicks fully out and dry and at least a fifth one working its way out in the incubator, but so far, they all look the same. The black body with pale spots on the heads suggest these are either the barred rocks or dominiques that were a part of the mix I purchased.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Lovely. Try not to let these get eaten.

Courtney said...

Awww, they're cute.