Friday, December 26, 2008

I Feel a Little Like Rodney Dangerfield


I'm still getting used to my new 'do. I'm used to having my forehead shaded, for one. When I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror, I'm still a little shocked by my reflection. Today, after I took a shower, I made a crack to K about how my new haircut made me look a little like a child molester. Now, I said this as a joke, but K tried to console me by saying, "It's only because it's all one length." Obviously, she really does think that I look like a child molester.

The thing is that I don't (or didn't) think I look that bad. I was actually a little surprised at how not-crappy I looked after cutting off my beloved shag. I do think it makes me look a little fatter, but that's probably because I am a little fat, a fact not lost on Mickey today. We went out to eat with Mickey and Courtney for supper tonight and Mickey actually brought up my obesity without any prompting. Of course his reference was relatively tactful and subtle, but at least K required prompting to admit that she thinks I look creepy. Mickey just brought it up in the course of casual conversation. Of course, it's true and I really should lose the weight, but after K's earlier hurtful comments, I had to drown my pain in beer, retail therapy at REI, and jokes about my being better able to deal with cold than Mickey.

Of course, I hope to fix part of Mickey's critique. I'm going to start training for hiking the entire length of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia (about 75 total miles) over the course of a week in late May or early June this coming year. To have any chance at success, I need to be in better shape before I try. I'm going to start with my elliptical machine. I can turn the resistance up really high, so I'm going to start gradually working up to a really high resistance to simulate going up hills, of which there are many on the Georgia section of the trail. I'll probably do a couple of bigger weekend hikes in the weeks before heading out as well. Apparently, Pine Mountain in Georgia has a pretty good long-distance trail that's pretty hilly for its fairly southerly latitude. If my metabolism is like it was a few years ago, this should in itself shed the pounds. I was able to lose 25 pounds in a couple of months just from running three miles a day, four days a week back in college. I lost about 40 pounds just from doing Weight Watchers five or six days a week about six years ago, and that was without much exercise.

Of course, most of the gut won't go anywhere. By the end of my senior year of high school I was actually right smack dab in the middle my ideal weight for my height, and I still had a noticeable pudge in the stomach area. When I lost 40 pounds a couple of years ago, I didn't even go down a pants size. The stomach was smaller, but still there. I'm not vain enough to care about that anymore (much), but it would be nice to get back into better shape.

I guess all of this was just to say that at least I can address Mickey's complaint with my appearance. I'll probably always look like a child molester to my wife.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You'll need to do weight training & crunches to get rid of the belly pudge. The molester appearance, I cannot help.

Julie said...

Oh... but don't grow a mustache like Brad Pitt's. That would not help.

Mickey said...

I thought the hair looked good. You've still got more up front than I do, so there's that, too.

Chris said...

You're not creepy enough to look like a child molester, regardless of haircut.

If anything, I would say the new cut just makes you look more like a country boy. You should take up hunting. (deer or turkey, not young children)