Monday, December 15, 2008

It's the Adolescent Inside

Great news! I remembered Meaghan's suggestion of Pandora during the course of updating yesterday's post, so I tried it today at work. For some reason Pandora is less offensive than Last.fm. The website that owns a box worked perfectly well on my work computer, and I was able to grade papers to the tune of my personal soundtrack today. Sadly, that soundtrack was still a lot less angry than when I was in high school. Seriously, when grading research papers with a class where only one person turned in a works cited page (something we spent an entire class period working on), I should have a lot of rage to work out sonically.

I also thought that I'd use today's space as a bit of a confession. It may not seem that way, but I'm a bit image conscious. I know that's a little surprising given my admission of my beer geekery, fowl obsession, comments about abandoning my toddler in the wilderness, and admission that I enjoyed playing Dungeons and Dragons in high school. Still, I have thrown out posts in the past because I really didn't want what I had written to affect my street cred. I honestly have no idea what my definition of too dorky for public exposure is, but apparently there is one.

Now, this isn't to say that I make my life choices based on what I think will look cool. My tastes in music could be mistaken for some hipster who's just in it for appearances, but I honestly like it for the music. I'm perfectly willing to admit when I hate a particular hip band and I am willing to sing along with the radio when it's a popular song that I actually like.

But there are things I'm just not going to talk about here or in public. K hears this stuff because she's foolish enough to actually listen to me when I talk (except when I'm responding to a question she asked because she's never listening then), but there are things you're not going to hear from me here.

What are those things? Yeah, right. I'm not going to fall for that one.

1 comment:

Mickey said...

I thought Julie was making a list for herself until I got to #3. That's when it started to seem weird.