Friday, May 04, 2012

Well, That's One Problem Solved

Photo: Dave Whitley, Flickr Creative Commons

My Peachtree Road Race streak will officially be kept alive (assuming problems on my end don't arise). Mickey, who is really old and has a body that is already failing him, transferred his number to me yesterday. I'm thrilled that I'll be able to run again but I'm a bit annoyed that I had to pay $20 for the transfer, but that's not his fault. I'm not sure why the Atlanta Track Club (or their registration handler) feels that $20 per transaction is necessary to change a name attached to a race number, but it's cheaper than my other options and, like I've said, I have an irrational attachment to running this race.

Now I just have to live with with the dull, lingering terror that, because I filled out the forms on my phone instead of my laptop, that something will get screwed up and I won't be placed in A Wave. I earned it, damn it!

In other news, tennis season is finally over (as of Tuesday) and I can finally focus on my triathlon training schedule without overly neglecting my family. That being said, I haven't done a damn thing in the two days since tennis ended. I was supposed to ride the bike 24 miles and swim about 750-900 yards on Wednesday. Instead I stayed home, played Mario Kart with the kid, helped make dinner and changed a diaper. I don't really regret that. I haven't had much family time the last few months and it was kind of nice to take it easy with an unscheduled rest day when I wasn't being forced to take it because of scheduling conflicts. The kid was thrilled about it, anyway.

Then Thursday got on my nerves. It was not supposed to be a rest day. I had carefully planned my afternoon schedule. I was going to run 7 miles promptly after work. That would take me about an hour and I'd be able to take over watching the kid in time for my wife to leave and go out to dinner with her fellow teachers. She'd have the baby and I was going to get the kid ready and take him to his T-ball game. After the game, the boy and I would eat and hang out waiting for her to come home. Instead, I realized I'd forgotten about an after-school faculty meeting at 3:25 p.m. when they announced a reminder. By the time that was over, I got home too late to head out for a run, even a shortened one. After the game, it was basically dark so I had to skip the run entirely.

To make up for it, I'm working out on my scheduled off day today. It's not a big deal, although I normally like to have a rest day before the 40-mile bike ride/ 2-mile run brick session I do on Saturdays.


Julie said...

That's great! Mickey's s pretty cool guy. That was very cool of him to transfer you his number. Want to fix that typo but my iPhone is being a jerk. Let that replace your anger towards the $20 change fee.

Courtney said...

Hey, I deserve some thanks here too. Mickey was going to give his number to me, but I declined because my hip injury sidelined my training and now there's no way I'd be ready to run a 10K by July 4.

Jacob said...

Mickey never clarified that for me when I asked, so thank you for being old and brittle too.

Jacob said...

Mickey never clarified that for me when I asked, so thank you for being old and brittle too.