Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Sad Day

Beer Ayuel was one of the Lost Boys of Sudan and having escaped to the US a few years earlier than most, became a bit of father figure for the Lost Boy community in Atlanta, where he lived. He recently signed up with a company that provides translators in Iraq and on the radio today one of his friends said that he went because he thought he could help both the American soldiers and Iraqis by translating. He was killed after being in Iraq only 17 days. If you’ve ever read or watched anything about what the Lost Boys went through, it’s inspiring that they aren’t all filled with hate and distrust of their fellow man. The fact that so many have done more with their lives than most with less traumatic upbringings ever do is heartbreaking. I consider having actually met one, even briefly, one of the highlights of my life because it’s a bit humbling to meet someone who went through that and show no signs of bitterness or anger. I never met Beer (pronounce like the animal bear), but I feel a strong sense of loss at his death. I’m sure he will be missed by all who knew him.

Ayuel had recently become an American citizen and leaves behind a widow in Egypt. He had married her earlier this year after a long engagement and was in the process of getting it approved to bring her to the US when he died.

I'm going to refrain posting anything stupid, silly, or in vanity because I really don't feel like it right now. I'll get around to the geekery series later.

No comments: