Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Of Love and Geekery

I'm a geek by nature. I can't just like something. I either have to be obsessed with it or feel utter indifference. For example: I am obsessed with beer. I collect rare brands, take meticulous notes on every brew sampled, know the processes and ingredients involved inside out, make my own, and even win awards for the homebrew I make. My relationship with beer is entirely geeky. That doesn't mean that once obsessed, always obsessed. There are some things that have fallen by the wayside in my history of geekdom.

Current geek outs: Beer, tea, coffee, cooking, Alton Brown, violent sports (see previous posts), and current events (especially in Africa).

Past geek outs: Science fiction and fantasy literature, zoology (especially primatology and marine biology), rare breed chickens and other heritage livestock (still a potential candidate for a comeback, but a dieing flame currently).

Not quite geek outs (but could be one day): Film and organic gardening.

Things people would probably expect to be my geek outs but aren't and never have been: Video games, roll playing games like Dungeons & Dragons, science fiction and fantasy movies, and cross dressing.

To make regular posting a little easier for the next few days I'll be posting daily or semi-daily articles about the objects of my geekery. I know I've even given it an unofficial start with my sports dilemma post a couple of days ago, but this is the official beginning because I say so. After all, that's what official means: the person/people who matter say so. It's going to be a long, boring month for you.

3 comments:

Chris said...

The curling girls are much better looking than I would expect from Olympic curlers.

In general, I admire people like you who geek out over things. You provide a good contrast to people like me who have virtually no intense interests or hobbies. I should get some.

Unknown said...

Hey Jacob. Nothing Geeky about Alton. Don't know if you remember giving me a VHS of Good Eats years ago. Been hooked ever since. Did you see Feasting on Asphalt I and II??
I also miss my chickens. Sniff. Sniff.
Geeks unite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacob said...

Alton is inherently geeky. He's just one of the cool geeks. My dad just says he's weird. I loved the Feasting on Asphalts.

But I was talking about things that I'm geeky about. You can be geeky about anything. Those guys who know everything about cars? Car geeks. Obsessive hunters? Geeks o' Death.