Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Know-It-Alls Suck, Unless I Am One

I have this kid in one of my class, and he drives me up the freaking wall. He corrects me, even when he doesn't know what he's talking about or doesn't know enough to know that there's more than one part to the answer. Now, I don't mind being corrected. I know I'm not perfect and when done without malice or a mean-spirited delight, I take correction and criticism quite well. The only problem is this kid seems to take delight in finding me slipping up. I blame it on his embrace of mainstream charismatic Christianity. They seem to breed contempt for education in those churches, but I digress. This kid gets on my nerves and rightfully so.

The only problem with this, is sometimes I worry I'm that guy. If I know the correct answer and hear some wrongheaded concepts being thrown about, it's very difficult for me to not offer up the truth. I don't do this when I don't know for sure that I'm right and if I do, I do so couched in a way that it's clear that I'm pretty sure that what I'm hearing isn't right, but I could be wrong. I'll also throw out hypotheses when someone asks a question I don't know the answer to, but I always try to be clear as to whether I'm stating fact or just offering up a logical guess. At least I hope that's the way it comes across, because the truth is, you never really know exactly how you come across to other people. I know myself as a kind, caring guy with a penchant for trivial knowledge, an uncanny ability to see both sides of an argument, and a mild passion for debate. I don't think many of my college friends know that last side of me, but it was a major form of entertainment with me and my high school friends. These days I mostly get that part of my personality exercised in online forums.

Still, I'm perfectly aware that my regular spouting of trivia and lack of fear for an intelligent discussion of differing views could easily be mistaken for nerd bragging. You know, those guys who show off their brains because they don't have much else going for them. I don't really have much going for me, but my foibles aren't pushed by an egotistical or competitive drive. I would really love to be able to hear the thoughts of others when they thought of you, though. It'd be nice to know who gets me (besides K) and who I need to back off on the dorkiness around.

On instance that I wish I'd had that ability was a few years ago when I had just bought my Prius. I hadn't had it for very long and didn't know as much about it as I do now. I had, however, heard from another Prius owner I know very well that the car doesn't slow down anywhere near as much as the regular vehicle because there's no drag on the drive train of the vehicle when you take your foot off of the gas. I was having a discussion with my wife's cousin, who had worked on a hybrid vehicle project at Akron State (Go Zips! Fear the roo!) before he graduated. They built their hybrid system from scratch, so when he told me about how the system applied the breaks automatically when the foot comes off the gas for both safety reasons and to regenerate electricity that goes back into the battery bank, I told him that I didn't think the Prius did that, not knowing at that time that the person I heard that from tends to talk out of their ass a lot and only knew half of the truth. I didn't argue with him, just stated that as near fact and the conversation moved on. I didn't find out until later that I had been full of shit and the Prius does in fact apply the breaks automatically to replace the drag that normal cars get from the gas engine when the accelerator is no longer being pressed.

By that time it would have seemed awkward and forced to call the cousin up and admit my mistake. He probably didn't even remember the conversation. I just hate to think that I'm that guy that people think talks out of his ass and makes up facts to look smart. The real problem is that no one is going to tell you that you're that guy; they just make fun of you behind your back. Plus, I hate these guys and I really don't want to find out one day that most people thought of me as the same type.

I don't mind being thought of as weird or eccentric. I actually enjoy being a little different, but that doesn't surprise you if you know me. I just don't want to be thought of as trying to make myself look better than anyone else. Why would I need to? I already am better than everyone else. Bragging is for losers who know they don't make the cut.

9 comments:

Meaghan said...

I think you definitely know a lot, but you don't act like a know-it-all. You just correct when it should be corrected. However, you do tend to back up your answers when playing trivia... heehee!

Courtney said...

Hello, pot? This is the kettle. You're black.

Mickey said...

So is Courtney (the kettle) saying she is also a know it all?
I'd say I pretty much see you as you see yourself, Jacob. You're not a know it all. Take it from someone who is one (or so I'm repeatedly told).
I consider you quite diplomatic when expressing your knowledge and opinions. I know how you feel about that Prius conversation. I've got a ton of stupid, regrettable situations just like that one that no one else would remember but that I wish I could take back. I'm sure we all do.

Courtney said...

I was actually referring to Jacob talking about his student being a know-it-all. But I was just kidding.

You're not a know-it-all, you just really like to emphasize what you do know. But you're a good listener too.

Chris said...

I think the problem is that people of little education (or intellectual curiosity? or both?) tend to only understand the extremes. When you say maybe, they hear either a yes or a no, if that makes sense. I'm afraid most people just don't appreciate a discussion of theories or what might be. Their brains oversimplify the conversation to translate everything into hard-and-fast facts.

You're right to suggest that it's frustrating -- not to mention that it undermines potential progress is so many arenas such as business and public policy.

Sorry, this has turned into a much more serious, soap-box commentary than I meant it to be. But, my message to you is that I think your friends and loyal readers get you -- both when you're being tentative and when you're truly well-endowed with random knowledge.

So there. Now who's the know it all?

Jacob said...

Yeah, I am a little enthusiastic with sharing my knowledge. It's just so difficult for me to realize that not everyone feels the same way I do about knowledge of any type. Who cares if it serves no practical purpose?

Jacob said...

And Courtney, he's blonde haired and blue eyed. That just wouldn't make any sense.

Jacob said...

And none of you but Meaghan count anyway. I spent three years training you when your defenses were down due to sleep deprivation to understand and appreciate me.

Julie said...

I don't ever remember being annoyed by your knowledge. I think you're safe.

And I don't so much remember taking about you behind your back as I remember celebrating or rehashing your more spectacular moments. I think the difference is that I would do it with or without you there. Palestinia anyone?