Sunday, December 23, 2007

Celebration and Nothingness

Before I get started, I'd like to announce that this is my 100th post this year. I've never even gotten 10 in a year before this point, so I'm pretty stoked. I bet you are too.

We began the Christmas celebrations today. Actually we started last week, but that was mostly with old people who are related to me on my mom's side but who I don't actually know. They all know me, though, and I'm extremely uncomfortable in situations where many people know me and I know none of them. I feel guilty, but not enough to start learning who those people are. I may take pride in family history, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I want to know those people personally. Today was the first one with people I actually know and like. This is my dad's side of the family. I grew up around them and feel much more comfortable with them than with the other side.

I got to thinking how amazingly diverse the gathering was despite it being a gathering of small town Southerners. My sister brought her boyfriend, who is Taiwanese. They also brought his friend, who's Korean. My cousin's girlfriend is either Ecuadorean or Honduran by birth. The funny part of this is that all of these people are as white as I am. Sam (my likely future brother-in-law knows Taiwanese and Mandarin, but speaks English without an accent and comes across like he would have been comfortable in my group of friends given his techie/computer gamer interests. Their friend was born here and doesn't seem to know all that much Korean even. Sam even referred to him as being white on the inside. The cousin's girlfriend may have been born in Latin America, but she has no memory of it. She was adopted by a couple in my hometown when she was an infant. She grew up as if she were just a rural white Southerner with a really awesome tan.

I've really got nothing important to say today, I just thought I'd share that and my 100th post. I'm actually on track to do another month's worth of posts this month despite missing a few days in a row a week or so back, so I figured I'd try to meet that goal again this month.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations on your 100th post.

I share your feelings on the celebrations. We started on Saturday with my dad's family. My uncle's girlfriend (of about 2 years following his divorce/separation of about 2 years and two weeks ago) invited all her family and no one told us. I'd been asked to bring a salad which I prepared for 12. Then it turns out that there were an additional 12 people that I didn't know there. Not fun. I was so thankful to leave.

Tonight should be fun as I'm closer to this side of the family.

Jacob said...

On my dad's side, no one would have noticed. My aunt Kay had so much food cooked that even with Kim's family and Courtney's boyfriend and friend there was no shortage of food.