Friday, January 04, 2008

A Movie Review, Sort Of

watched two movies recently that seemed to be connected in a way despite not really appearing so on the surface. In one film, a former national symphony cellist has been reduced to playing funerals in his native Czechoslovakia during the late 1980s just prior to the Velvet Revolution. He’s lived the life of a musician as he was taught it should be: unconnected to spouse or child. Instead, he makes a habit of irregular trysts with other men’s wives, but he always remains aloof. In the other, an incompetent father in a land where jaundice is at pandemic levels is more intent on drinking and watching TV than he is on paying attention to his own kids.

Both movies play on male stereotypes. The main character of Kolya, Louka, is the classic lone wolf, living the bachelor life into middle age and pursuing his impersonal life mission without regard to others. It's less of a matter of carelessness or recklessness than it is a matter of disconnection. This also plays into the gunfighter hero myth of the classic Westerns where the strong, handsome hero remains focused on his goals, and while he may win over the damsel in distress, he always rides off into the sunset alone. In The Simpsons Movie (come on, you had to have guessed this already), Homer is at the peak of his classic ineptitude, more so than he typically is in the series, and this time he actually drives Marge, the ever-forgiving housewife, to finally give up on her neglectful husband and leave him.

The movies continue on a similar thread throughout, although live action one lacks the sight gags and penis jokes of the animated one. Louka takes itself way too seriously for that. Louka, low on cash and with a mother dependent on him to keep her ancient home together agrees to a sham marriage to a Russian woman to help her get her Czech papers. Things are going fine with Louka continuing to live at the top of his tower, which is really just the loft of a high-rise apartment building with no elevator, and the Russian woman living elsewhere with her young son until she bolts for West Germany without the boy thanks to her new Czech papers. Days later, the paramedics show up with the boy at Louka's door. The child’s grandmother has had a stroke and will die in a few days. Louka, the legal stepfather, is left with a child to care for. The remainder of the movie is a surprisingly tender depiction of this man’s gradual transformation from reluctant caretaker to loving father, although much of his gruff and reserved nature remains. It lacks the cloying sappiness of some of the big Hollywood takes on similar stories and you leave the movie still feeling like a man (although an intelligent, thoughtful one) instead of an overweight, middle-aged woman with a large collection of cats for having enjoyed it.

The Simpsons Movie parallels the transcendence of man from selfish loner to selfless father, although in a much cheesier, classically Hollywood way. Homer, abandoned by his family in Alaska and drunk from the latest bender (at a bar called Eski Moes) first mushes and later walks back to Springfield to save the town he had doomed to destruction through his laziness and gluttony and to earn back the love his family. Of course he’s successful, but this being the Simpsons, he’s successful in a hilariously surreal manner.

Of course the Simpsons shouldn't be taken as the serious commentary on masculinity and nurturing that Kolya is. It was not intended to be such, but I do find it a little coincidental that I’d watch two films based on themes dealing with fatherhood during a point in my own life during which I’m working through very similar issues. I identified much more with Louka than I did Homer. My passion for beer has never led me to neglect my wife, and even though we have differing opinions about what and how much makes for sufficient and quality together time, I don’t think K even at our worst moments would claim that I even approach half of the neglectfulness of the Homeric Ideal of the Domestic Man. I’ve also never doomed a town to being destroyed by the EPA because I dumped the prodigious amount of poop from my precious pet pig into the town lake. It's true that I differ from Louka in the diversity of my sex life, but I have, however, felt that desire to live for goals that involve only me and to be the loner that Louka was. I did not want to be tied down, and I admit to being a little reluctant to take on the burden of a child. I still struggle with the shackles that fatherhood really does bring with it, especially when I’d never fully come to terms with the shackles that came with reality in the first place. Still, like Louka, I’ve gradually come to terms with the limitations brought by interpersonal bonds with other people through the very bonds that tied me down to begin with. I doubt that I’ll ever forget the restlessness, academic and geographic, that runs through me, but I think I’m happy now. I love being a father to E, even if I’m not perfect as one and he’ll keep me from some of my old goals, at least temporarily. Of course this gushing could just be because he slept through the night the past three days.

Of course, in the end, having shifted some of his focus away from self and music and toward the child, Louka ended up back where he’d always wanted to be in the first place. The photo of the national symphony that had been the only art on his wall may have now been partially obscured by a portrait of the boy, but in the end he was back in the arcing rows of the orchestra playing for audiences of living music lovers instead of smalls groups of mourners and the dead. Maybe in the end, I’ll end up with my seat in the orchestra too, even if my orchestra has transformed into something I never imagined.

And by the way, for those of you who didn’t get it, that last line is an implied metaphor. Don’t be so freaking literal.

12 comments:

Jacob said...

I thought I'd probably need to point out that while I use "Kolya" for both character and movie title, IMDB uses "Kolja." Why did that happen? Because IMDB uses the original spelling of a film (at least the standard spelling in the western alphabet of the original title) instead of the title it's released as in the US. The title of the movie and character's name in when released in the US is Kolya. Kolja is the character and title as spelled in the original Czech language.

Julie said...

I don't know what to say.

Jacob said...

Julie, is that a comment you're leaving because you feel the obligation to comment when you read, or does it mean you find this incredibly weird, or disturbing, or what? You're killing me here. If it's an obligation, don't worry. I only comment when I feel compelled to respond to the post. I don't expect anyone else to fell any differently. If it's weird, how is this weird? I understand your similar comment on the violence post as it is a little on the quirky side, although still not what I would consider bizarre. And I can't figure out how this was bizarred. I thought it was rather insightful and thoughtful.

And if someone throws out the depressing card again, I'm going to go apeshit on someone. Every time I think I'm writing something that's sweet and touching someone makes a comment about it being depressing. Can't you people learn to deal with commentary that comes from a slightly different perspective than the mainstream?

It's not like I'm fucking autistic or talking about how I can taste colors and shit. God dammit.

*Switching out of vulgar Meaghan mode*

This is going to turn into a post. I can feel it.

Jacob said...

I really need to stop picking on Meaghan before she starts to think I'm serious.

Meaghan, I'm not serious. You're not mean. Feisty is more like it. As far as I know, you're not evil (although I am still creeped out by Nicole Kidman). You also aren't even all that vulgar. I'm just not sure I'd ever heard you or Chris partake in the naughty words until you two started blogging so it was an easy target.

Mickey on the other hand, really does need to get his English education degree so he can be the strict stickler English teacher he so obviously pines to be.

I also currently stand by anything else I've ever said about any of the rest of you. I also assure you that if I said it about you, I said it to you anyway, so you know what I'm talking about if I'm talking about you.

Courtney said...

Dude. Deep breaths.

For what it's worth, I usually like your posts. I can't say I was enthralled about the intricacies of cooking eggs, and honestly you are a bit depressing sometimes, but I always know where you're coming from. You're right; this one was insightful and thoughtful.

And sorry, Julie, but you may as well not leave a comment at all if you're just going to say that you don't know what to say. Give us something to work with here.

Julie said...

Ok, people. Get off my back. Mickey recently called me out for leaving a blog sized post as a comment to one of his posts so I felt I would just sum up my sentiments in one sentence. I did not, in fact, know what to say or where to begin.

Do I rail against Jacob for writing a book report comparison of two seemingly unrelated movies? Or is it just that he made me, his friend, read a book report? Do I attack it as a side effect of spending too much time as a teacher? Do I laugh and point and say that this shows deep down Jacob actually likes what he does despite the many posts that claim the contrary?

Do I ask him where he finds these movies? I'm on Netflix, too, and I've never seen many of the titles he watches. Do I thank him for the chuckles I enjoyed thinking of Jacob leaving the average chick flick feeling as a middle aged, flabby woman with many cats?

Do I bother to play the bad father card again? Well, not really a bad father but do I ask for some insight into the conversations that surrounded your decision to have kids? Or do I support your feelings of reluctance at being a father but your willingness to step up to the plate? Do I poke you for comparing yourself to Homer or applaud you for staying north of the "half of the neglectfulness" line?

Do I make a cheeky comment about playing your 'instrument' in an 'orchestra?' Or give a verbal :)- to you for assuming that I won't understand a metaphor? You know what they say about assuming, right?

And that's only a brief history of the thoughts that went through my head upon my first read of your post and the most I could get out prior to work (yes, you've made me late) since I can't surf the web at work.

Mickey said...

Pants.

Chris said...

Sheesh. I think the comments on this post have officially become longer and more bizarre than the post ever thought of being. Excellent work, all. I have been entertained.

Chris said...

Also, Jacob, I think you make a good point about how your goals and dreams can morph over time into something you didn't expect. And I believe that would be true regardless of whether you were tied down by relationships or a child or any other specific factor you might pinpoint.

It's part of life that things don't go as planned. And that's not a bad thing.

This was my personal life lesson for 2007, so I'm glad to hear someone reaffirm it.

Jacob said...

Whew, I was kind of worried what kind of comments I was going to find when I got home today. Courtney's response had me worried that everyone would take my "rant" seriously. I couldn't tell if she was playing along or seriously thought I was pissed. The truth is that I wanted to ask Julie what she meant and was really freaking bored and in a good mood that day, so I entertained myself with my response. That's right, I sat there giggling at myself the entire time I wrote that comment. I thought I'd left in enough clues that I was joking (I mean I talked about "tasting colors and shit" and then slammed Meaghan for being mean for no reason). I was a little afraid that if Courtney took it seriously, that Julie might have as well and she would have had reason to be pissed if she thought I was really angry.

But still, I'm offended that you called my post a book report. It's a movie review and personal essay, thankyouverymuch.

And you forget, I hate the students. I'm actually quite enamored with academics. In fact, I would have sex with academics if I could find a personification of it anywhere. I bet she's pretty hot in the mousey librarian in the heavy metal music video sort of way.

Julie said...

It's Ok. I'm new to this blogging thing. Just let me know what's Ok and not Ok.

It's Ok, for example, to comment with one word such as "pants." It's not ok to express ambivilance.

Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.

Jacob said...

Ambivalence is fine, just as long as we know what you are being ambivalant about. Especially about pants.