Thursday, December 09, 2010

Let's Talk About Something Else

Photo: Stina Stockholm, Flickr Creative Commons

Do you ever have one of those days when it feels like you were meant to shoot yourself in the face, but you didn't and to punish your insolence, Fate decides to make everything about your morning turn into a series of snapshots of what Hell would be like?

Yeah, me neither, but my morning sure did suck. By the time I finally got to my classroom (after the students already had their tardy bell and with the assistant principal standing in my doorway from after having unlocked the door for them) I'd already dealt with missing toothpaste, poorly timed and seemingly endless amounts of urine, and a screaming child having to be pried from my leg. I'm not easily rattled, but I've been off my game all day. I should have skipped drinking the coffee that I somehow managed not to forget. By the time break rolled around and I went in to check the restroom for smokers more than an hour and a half after I got to work, I realized that my hands were shaking.

5 comments:

Julie said...

There was a funny article on The Onion recently about how the Universe finally admitted it was screwing up a man's life. I've had one of those days where I wish I'd just called in sick. So frustrating.

Mickey said...

And now it's over, and tomorrow is Saturday.

Sid said...

I've actually read the article that Julie is referring to.

Anyway, I'm assuming that it was your kid that couldn't be pried off your leg, and not some random high schooler ...

Missing toothpaste?

Jacob said...

He's three and can't be expected to brush his teeth or keep track of his toothpaste by himself. This is usually one of the morning tasks that my wife does and didn't do when she left early that day. She told me specifically that it would be in one of the pockets in the car. The problem is that my wife is one of those people who has some strange need that everything must be put away inside of something, but when she's rushing doesn't care about where it gets shoved. Me, when I'm in a hurry, I leave it out where it's visible and will be seen later when needed or I have time to put it away. This makes me a slob because a lot of stuff gets left out and about, but I don't lose as many things as she does. She had stashed the toothpaste somewhere other than the pockets where she said it was. The search for it was a large part of why I was late. Also, she keeps a toothpaste for him that doesn't require spitting that he can use in the car when they're running late. That explains why I had to look in the car for toothpaste. This explanation is why I was so vague in the post. A lot of words for something really mundane.

Courtney said...

Sheesh. That would have been a good day to call in sick.