Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Really Cool Day

We went with my parents to deliver my sister to Augusta to spend a few days with her beau before heading back to Denver to work her last week before spending a week skiing and moving back to Georgia. I didn't really think that driving two and a half hours from my backwater home would involve such an international experience, but it did.

First, on the way there, K changed my Garmin's voice from an Australian chick to a British dude. Already we're jumping hemispheres if not languages. Second, on the way to Augusta we stopped for a potty break and I was feeling a bit hungry and knew that I still had at least an hour before lunch, so I headed off to the chip aisle and found some Herr's Kettle Cooked Garlic and Parmesan chips. Mmm. Italian. They get a little too salty by the end of the bag (and I'm a salt fiend), but these are pretty good chips, and I don't eat a whole lot of potato chips.

My sister spent a couple of years living in Augusta while attending the Medical College of Georgia, so we deferred to her for lunch spots. My sister is like the cool, less eccentric version of me, so I tend to trust her opinion on these things. She suggested Tako Sushi, a less-than-obvious fusion of cultures and cuisines. Imagine a place where you're faced with a choice of ordering a fish taco, Asian pork dumplings, or a spicy tuna roll. Yep, it's a place that's half Southwest/Tex-Mex and half sushi bar. My sister is a huge sushi fan; she eats it about twice a week, so I'm going to assume that this was good sushi, especially since she's been in Denver for the past two years and would have been exposed to a wider range of choices for the stuff. I do know that none of the fish smelled fishy (always a bad sign) and that despite eating so much sushi, all involving some form of raw fish, that I couldn't finish my second soft taco, I didn't get even slightly sick afterwards. I'm going to assume that means that this was good sushi. I actually enjoyed eating the stuff, so we'll stick to that. I'd never eaten more than two bites of the stuff (and never more than a single bite of raw fish). So, after our adventures with Australian and British navigators and Italian potato chips, we lunched in Albuquerque and Kyoto.

And, even though I've mentioned it before, Courtney's boyfriend is Taiwanese and his friend is Korean, so we ate sushi and tacos with a guy from Taiwan and another from Korea.

And after all of this world-travelling in east Georgia, we finished the night off with a good splash of Canadian culture. We went to an Augusta Lynx hockey game. Sadly, I was unable to locate an octopus to throw onto the ice after a goal. The Lynx won in overtime, by the way. I've never actually gone to a hockey game that didn't go into overtime. When I went to see the Lynx last year, it was an overtime win, when I went to see the Thrashers this year before Thanksgiving, it was an overtime win, and then there was last night's OT win.

It's just a shame that I couldn't get a Mexican sushi restaurant to work in my little podunk town.

2 comments:

Mickey said...

They sell Herr's chips in GA? I had no idea. That's all I got right now. The football game is on. Sorry.

Julie said...

Mmmmm sushi. I've found a place I really like about five minutes from work, 10 from the house. It's pretty awesome. I'll just go by myself and sit at the sushi bar if I can't get anyone to go with me at lunch.

I'm glad you had a culturally aware day in South Georgia. I have been lamenting the absence of cultural awareness in my area and I live in the "big city."